About Journal Pioneer
The Journal Pioneer is a daily newspaper published Mondays through Saturdays in Summerside, Prince Edward Island, Canada.
Two men named Bernard and Burtram founded the Summerside Journal, a weekly newspaper, in 1865. Under the leadership of A.R. Brennan, theJournal began publishing daily on September 21, 1939, in order to provide regular news of World War II. After the war, the Journal cut down to twice-weekly publication, then tri-weekly in 1949 after it closed a sister paper, The P.E. Island Agriculturalist.
After a fire at the press plant in 1947, the Journal was printed at the presses of its rival paper, The Pioneer, which had been founded in 1876 inAlberton, moving to Summerside in 1880. The papers merged into The Journal-Pioneer in 1951, and adopted a daily (weekdays) publishing schedule in October 1957. A Saturday edition was added two years later.
In 1972 the Sterling Group, part of Hollinger Inc., bought the Journal-Pioneer; it was sold to TC Transcontinental in 2002. Transcontinental also owns The Guardian in the provincial capital of Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. While the Journal Pioneer’s newsroom is in Summerside, its printing facilities are located in Borden-Carleton.
316 Water Street, Summerside, PE